Taking the Pledge means:
TO BE A PART OF THE SOLUTION FOR A HEALTHIER, SAFER PLACER COUNTY FOR OUR TEENS.
Parents who take this pledge take quick and decisive action to protect teens against the dangers of alcohol and drugs by making the following commitments:
- I will have ongoing conversations with my teen about our family expectations and boundaries regarding underage tobacco use, vaping, alcohol, marijuana/cannabis, other illegal drugs and non-prescribed medications.
- I will assure parties or events held at my home are properly supervised and without any substances accessible to minors.
- I will notify a neighbor or another responsible adult about our absence if I am out of town.
- I will prevent my teen’s friends from driving if I know or suspect they have been drinking or using drugs.
- I welcome any parent or guardian of a teen attending a party at my home to call and check on party details, times, supervision and any other concerns.
TALKING WITH YOUR TEEN – HOW TO GET STARTED:
- Create an environment of trust and understanding by sharing values, family history and the harms of teen substance use and abuse.
- Define clear, consistent boundaries and expectations around substance use and abuse.
- Actively listen and give your teen room to voice his or her own views and feelings.
- Talk about how to handle situations your teen may encounter.
- Be rational and don’t overreact.
- Be calm and non-judgmental.
- Don’t lecture, exaggerate, interrupt or make false claims.
- You don’t have to be an expert – but show that you are informed. It’s ok to say you don’t know.
- If conversations becomes negative, let it go and continue when another opportunity develops.
- Ongoing dialogue is the best way to keep communication flowing both ways and address situations as they come up.
See our Resources page for more great tools!